How long has it been since you had a date with your bride?
A lot of folks advocate a date night, as in weekly. If you can do that, great, but for many cost (including babysitting) and time make weekly difficult. So, while more is better, twice a month is enough to get the necessary effect.
My bride and I go into town for “provisions” every-other week. We tack our date onto shopping day, saving us money on gas and saving drive time. Some cannot mix a date with shopping (and some couples should not shop together period!), so do what works for you.
There are a number of ways of making dates less expensive:
- Swap babysitting with another couple – they get your kids every other week, you get theirs the other half the time. (Once in a while do it on a Friday and keep the kids overnight.)
- Use loyalty cards. Lori and I eat primarily at two places, each of which allows us to earn free meals. Likewise for movies, get a loyalty card and use it.
- Use coupons whenever possible. Many of the big chains do coupons by email (along with ads, of course).
- If you can swing half a weekday off, you can save by eating lunch instead of dinner, and getting lower prices for movies and other admissions.
- Do your dates at home, and save for a nice evening out when you have enough.