Gifts: It’s supposed to be the thought that counts, but is it?
For most of us, it is. A gift says, “I was thinking of you” and a gift that has special meaning or relevance says, “I know you well”. These are things you want to communicate to your bride, and regular small gifts do so well. I say small as in “it’s not the cost, it’s the thought”. Aim for three gifts a month – which might mean four one month and two the next. If the gifts are small and inexpensive, most months will cost you little more than a trip to St. Arbucks.
Some ideas to get you started
- Flowers Yes, the classic, and for good reason. Do a flower or flowers once a month.
- A card Yes, a real paper-in-an-envelope card. Write something nice, and it is very much a gift.
- Coupons This is the perfect gift for an acts of service gal, or to gift your time. The Marriage Bed has some nice print your own coupons.
- Collectables Preferably something she has already chosen. This could be a specific item, such as a brand of figurine, or anything with a certain symbol or animal on it.
- Candy, nuts, or whatever – if she is not on a diet!
- Anything given to disappearing at your house Pens, scissors, AA batteries …
- Bookmarks If she is a reader.
- Pampering items Such as bubble bath, hand lotion, scented soaps …
Wrap your gifts, or not. Leave them out, or hide them where she will come across them.
Is three gifts a month a lot? Maybe, but the process of thinking about it, of trying to come up with better and better ideas, will help you know her better, and tell her you are getting to know her better. It is a win/win!
Image Source: freedigitalphotos.net