The title “7 Marriage Verses” is perhaps a bit misleading here, because most of these are not commonly thought of as marriage verses.
- “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.” [Matthew 6:1 ESV]
Application: Do you ever make a point of only doing certain things when you bride will see you doing them? Taking out the trash, cleaning something, or putting something back from where you took it? There will be a much greater “reward” from your bride if you do these things all the time, not just when she is watching.
- “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel– not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.” [Galatians 1:6-8 ESV]
Application: Many men do this same thing with sex – deserting the body of their wife for the bodies of porn. If anyone tries to encourage you to do this, let them be accursed!
- “So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” [Jam 2:17-18 ESV]
Application: Replace each instance of “faith” in this scripture with “love” and you still have a true statement. If you are not daily living out your love for your bride in your actions, your love is dead.
- “Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy.”[Proverbs 28:13 ESV]
Application: This is so true in marriage! Women are especially perceptive, and often know there is dishonesty even if they do not know exactly what their hubby is being dishonest about.
- “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others” [Philippians 2:3 NIV]
Application: This one is clear, what it says should be the norm for your marriage.
- “What the true proverb says has happened to them: ‘The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.’“[2 Peter 2:17-22 ESV]
Application: I see men (and women) who find a better way of caring for their spouse, a better way of showing love, and the results are great for both of them. Then, for some reason, they slowly slip back to doing it the way they used to – the way they know does not work.
- “If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations– “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch”(referring to things that all perish as they are used)–according to human precepts and teachings? These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.” [Colossians 2:20-23 ESV]
Application: While Paul makes no reference to sexuality here, I think it is a natural extension of what he is saying. Those who want to put a lot of rules and limits on married sex may have the appearance of wisdom in a self-made religious way, but these limits do nothing to keep people sexually pure. If anything, excessive limits on married sex result in sin because people who cannot manage to live within those rules decide they might as well break all the rules.
Links to blog posts that stood out to me this last week:
The CMBA is running a challenge of posting every day for thirteen days, with today being day seven of that challenge. This means there are far more great posts out there this week. On top of that, I spent part of the weekend at a men’s retreat, so I am running behind. Therefore, I am going to cheat and give you my picks based on what I did via twitter this last week:
How to Get an A+ in Foreplay http://bit.ly/QMKtQo ◄ Make the grade where it really matters. via @Intimacy4Life
Intimacy Challenge – Day 6 http://bit.ly/T8hq6L ◄ This is the vital intimacy so many miss. via @MarriageJourney
Can you please speak in a language I can UNDERSTAND?!” http://bit.ly/PYnoHZ ◄ A great plug for love languages.
Sex tips for husbands – 10 Dont’s http://bit.ly/UoSVZV ◄ More good stuff from this series vai @SensuousHappyHu
#5 Vive la Différence http://bit.ly/T4DAXj ◄ A shocking and important revelation. #Generous Wife
Why Mess With A Masterpiece? http://bit.ly/PdsofM ◄ Kate suggests a wise, bigger picture approach. via @1FleshMarriage
10 Ways to Bless Your Wife http://bit.ly/QLJblH ◄ See if you can do all ten in a week! via @EdwardCLee
Spice and Love http://bit.ly/Vmi4Ui ◄ A brand new blog from a HIGH DRIVE wife. Looks promising. @spiceandlove
#4 Observe and Learn http://bit.ly/QIfMsz ◄ It makes marriage easier and better. #GenerousWife
7 Ways Hollywood Messes Up Our Sex Lives http://bit.ly/SFGT70 ◄ Gr8 thougths on Holllwood’s lies. via @sheilagregoire
Starting over… http://bit.ly/VvxWlQ ◄ Never fun, but the results can be great. via @IYMarriage
Marriage: Assembly Required http://bit.ly/ODCoPo ◄ YES! On-going work, but so worth it. @mrgmissions
Why Sex in Marriage is Totally Hot http://bit.ly/T1khyc ◄ Because familiarity actually breeds GREAT SEX! @Intimacy4Life
A Husband Is Trustworthy http://bit.ly/RAZJjb ◄ Or at least he needs to be! via Genuine Husband
13 Things I’ve Learned About Marriage #3 Grace, Grace and More Grace http://bit.ly/T0t5o4 ◄ A must have! #GenerousWife
Why Do You Think Men Think About Sex More Than Women? http://bit.ly/SFG9iP ◄ ome gr8 thoughts on this. @sexinmarriage
Sex tips for husbands: 10 do’s http://bit.ly/QpUgKt ◄ Good stuff from someone who understands. @SensuousHappyHu
But our marriage was a sin to begin with http://bit.ly/SBtIEC ◄ God still wants it to grow & become gr8. via @IYMarriage
I Don’t Find My Wife Attractive Anymore http://bit.ly/WgbPze ◄ Skin deep vs shallow! via @1FleshMarriage
Do You Feel Like a Failure with your Sex Life? http://bit.ly/QFqpiT ◄ Don’t, because you are not! via @sheilagregoire
Advice for My Son’s Wedding” http://bit.ly/Pob6qO ◄ Great advice for any married man.
Sex tips for wives – 10 dont’s http://bit.ly/RwkPPM ◄ A great, not at all shy, list. via @SensuousHappyHu
13 Fall Dates To Warm Your Heart! http://bit.ly/QSYt8q ◄ @TheRomanticVine always has great date ideas!
Are You Afraid of Sexual Pleasure? http://bit.ly/QjTNtk ◄ May sound odd to men, but many women are. via @Intimacy4Life
Unlocking…Your Bedroom Door http://bit.ly/PStFFP ◄ Sex doesn’t just happen. via @_DoNot_Disturb
Image Credit: © Foxtrot01 | Dreamstime.com