Let’s be honest – sex with a condom is not as great as sex without a condom. However, for many condoms are the best choice for birth control at least some of the time.
Fortunately, you can do things to make latex wrapped sex better.
- Put a couple of drops of water or silicon-based lube into the tip of the condom before you put it on. This will help the condom move, which feels more natural.
- Watch out for spermicide (nonoxynol-9) as it is an irritant for many men and women. Look for condoms without spermicide.
- Get a good fit. Too tight, can lessen sensation while too loose risks it coming off. Try a variety of sizes until you find one that feels best.
- Get a condom with an oversized head. This allows the condom to move against the head of the penis, which will feel better and more like sex without a condom. (Brand names include Inspiral, Pleasure Plus, LifeStyles Pleasure Shaped, and Trojan Twisted Pleasure Condoms)
- Try a thinner condom. Condoms are much stronger than in the past, so thinner is still functional, and it feels better.
- Try other materials.
- Polyurethane condoms are thinner and transmit heat better. They’re not stretchy, which may feel better, but can make getting a good fit a bit more difficult.
- Lambskin or natural condoms feel much better than latex as they transmit heat and sensation very well. They do cost more. These condoms are not effective against STDs, but that’s likely not a concern for you.
If you can’t find the condoms you want locally, Amazon has a huge selection. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can probably find what you want with free two-day shipping. (If you are not a Prime member, you can get a 30 free trial of Amazon Prime.)