There are those who try explaining everything about living creatures in terms of how it increases or decreases an organism’s ability to pass on its genes. The idea is that in the long term only what improves the ability/chance to procreate is kept, and everything we are is a result of this process.
It’s interesting how those who believe this argue about the clitoris and female orgasm. While there is some limited evidence having an orgasm may slightly improve the chance of conception, the reality is history is full women who had more children than orgasms. Some explain the clitoris, and thus female orgasm, as a happy accident resulting from the fact male and female genitals come from the same embryonic tissue. Based on this, she can have an orgasm for the same reason you have nipples. The “accident” part of this is because some of our parts don’t show up on both men and women – the uterus and vagina for example are lacking in men.
As I already said, I see abundant evidence there is an intelligence and purposeful creator behind our bodies. Based on that, our body parts, and what they do, are never an accident; rather they are an indication of what God intended. So, what do the clitoris and female orgasm suggest God intended?
First a few facts/observations about female sexual ability:
- Female orgasms can last much longer than the male version – 2 to 4 times as long.
- Men can have a very limited number of climaxes in a short time, whereas women are theoretically able to have a great many.
- Prior to menopause, woman have a cyclical sex drive – growing from the start of menstruation to a peak about two weeks later, then a large drop, followed by another building to a second peak just before menstruation.
- Women can have and enjoy sex when they are pregnant, during menstruation, and after menopause – all times when they can’t procreate.
- While a woman who ignores sex will have a drop in drive, a woman who becomes more sexual, and/or thinks more about sex, experiences an increase in drive.
- For women sex is a part of the whole relationship – they find it hard to want or enjoy sex when the relationship has problems, and they can want a great deal of sex when the relationship is good.
From this, I conclude God intended:
- Women to enjoy sex a lot – and physically to enjoy it more than men.
- God designed women’s sexuality to push a couple to work on their relationship, to make it good, so the sex will be good.
- God intended women to want and enjoy sex from puberty to very old age.
- God wanted our sex lives to have variety – times of can’t get enough and times of deep satisfaction.
I realise many of you are dealing with a wife who has been harmed sexually – by abuse and/or negative and wrong ideas from society and/or the church. The damage such a woman has suffered makes it impossible for her to want or feel what God intended. I understand this – I married such a woman. I can’t tell you it will change for sure, and I can’t tell you change will be as fast as you would like. However, I can tell you from experience even a deeply injured woman can learn to want and enjoy sex a great deal.
About the image: The image is a drawing showing the entire clitoris. The green part is what you can see. The purple part is the rest. There is far more there than we thought until recently!
[This post first appeared July 19, 2009]
Links may be monetised
Image Credit: © Clitoris anatomy unlabeled By Amphis | [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Shop Amazon ♦ Shop to give links page
We’re donation supported Thanks for your help!