Seven key points
Patty Newbold of Assume Love recently posted What I Believe About Marriage and How to Enjoy It. I was challenged by the clear simple three-point message. As a regular reader of her blog, I could have given you the three points before I read them. I wondered what it would look like if I tried to narrow down what I believe, and what I share here, to a few points.
I took a look at the tags I use to label my posts, thinking it would give me a good picture of what I am actually saying. Turns out it was a rather good fit with what I would say I most want to communicate via this blog. Below are the top seven tags, how many times I have used each on the 1,349 posts on this site, and what I generally want to communicate. [Note, numbers are as of 10/15/2014] The links go to pages with links to all posts labelled with each tag. I will write on each of these over the next week.
- 301 BeBetter: Working on you is fundamental to my thinking on marriage. It is the right thing to do, and it significantly improves the changes your spouse will also try to be better.
- 274 I_choose: I believe we have the power to choose a great many things. If nothing else, we can choose how we react to things.
- 139 knowing: The more we know, the more power we have to choose and to be better. Knowing also helps us help our spouse.
- 137 kindness: Kindness is foundational to marriage, yet it seems in short supply between many couples. Choosing to be more kind can have a huge impact on your marriage.
- 134 practical: Yeah, I love research, charts, and details, but if I cannot reduce those things to practical suggestions, they are of no use. Likewise, in our marriages – if we do not do the practical things, the rest really does not matter.
- 127 sexISgood: I do not see sex as the frosting on the cake; I see sex as a vital part of a healthy marriage.
- 122 sex4her: Sex is less automatic and far more problematic for women. Even if you have never hurt her sexually, society has. If you want her to enjoy sex as she should, you will have to put some effort into learning how to make it great for her.
Image Credit: © La Fabrika Pixel S.l. | Dreamstime.com